Saturday, March 12, 2011

Long Time, No See

I know I just started this blog in September and am already very behind in my posts.  I'm not even going to try to explain it away but rather say that I'm sorry.  Of course, I only have one follower so far but I'm not going to get anymore sitting on my duff.  So, here's a quick update on what's been going on with me:
  1. On September 19th, my maternal grandfather passed away.  Then, 4 months to the day later, my maternal grandmother passed away.  I miss them very much but I know that they are together again in Heaven, where there's no pain or tears.  They're enjoying the presence of their Father and glorifying Him!
  2. I've finished the second and third units in my correspondence course and sent them in.  I got A's on the first two units and am waiting to get the third unit back.  I'm almost finished the fourth unit, too.  In total, there are six units in the course.
  3. I'm taking a cake decorating course now, too.  I'm in the basics course right now and have three more classes (out of four) to go.  After that, there are two more courses.  I haven't decided if I'm going to take them yet, though.  We'll see how I do at my next class.
  4. A few weeks ago we learned that our oldest cat, Spooky, has the early stages of kidney disease.  He'll now have to be on medication for life but we intend to do our best to keep him as healthy as possible for as long as possible.
  5. My hubby is looking for work, preferably in British Columbia's Okanagan or Kootenays.  He's still at his present job but we've been wanting to move back to BC for a long time now so we've started looking.  We want to go where God leads us so we're open to other places in Canada as well but our hearts really are in BC.
So, that's what's been going on in a nutshell.  As for other stuff, we've seen three movies in the past 9 months or so.  I know some people go to the movies all the time but we're just not that into that whole thing anymore.  There aren't very many movies that interest us, not to mention the cost of going to the movies.  However, tonight we had a 2-for-1 coupon so we thought we'd go before it expired.  We saw "Black Swan" starring Natalie Portman, Barbara Hershey, Mila Kunis, etc.  It was very intense and very, very dark but the acting was superb.  The story was gripping and had me tied up in knots until the very end.  Would I recommend this movie to you?  If you don't mind several explicit sex scenes and can handle feeling "down" rather than "up" when you come out of the movie, then go for it.  Otherwise, I don't recommend this movie.

A few weeks ago we saw "The King's Speech", thanks to a colleague of my hubby's who gave us a gift card.  We enjoyed the movie but didn't think it was worthy of 12 Academy Award nominations nor the actual award it received for Best Picture.  It also won awards for Best Director and Best Actor (Colin Firth).  Since I haven't seen the other movies that were nominated, I can't say whether Colin Firth really deserved the award or not.  I will say that when I left the movie, I felt he deserved an award.  I also felt that Geoffrey Rush deserved an award though he didn't win one.  So, if you're one of those few people who haven't seen the movie yet, I would recommend it.  It is a nice story based on the life of King George VI, the father of Queen Elizabeth.  To me, it's a feel-good movie that had some very moving moments throughout.  It was also interesting for me to see the portrayal of Queen Elizabeth when she was a little girl and to see the type of upbringing members of the royal family have had.

Several months ago, we saw "Mao's Last Dancer".  Oddly enough, it was also based on a true story.  It was about Li Cunxin, a male ballet dancer from China.  I really enjoyed the movie and would recommend it as well.

It's getting late and we have to "spring forward" tonight so it's off to bed for me.  I promise I'll try to keep up-to-date with my posts.  Happy Spring!