Saturday, September 18, 2010

Disappointed

I realize that I just started this blog and already I'm a bit behind on my posts.  However, there are two reasons for that.  One is that I've been sick all week and the other is that, because I've been sick, I haven't had anything to tell you about.  So today I thought I'd check in.

As I said, I've been sick all week with a cold.  It's left me with a semi-permanent headache, nasal congestion, and a sore throat.  And I haven't been sleeping well either.  But all week I've been looking forward to this weekend when we were going to go to the Ukrainian Festival.  My husband is of Ukrainian ancestry and so each year when it comes around, we go and have some delicious, authentic Ukrainian food and listen to some great music (in Ukrainian of course).  Last year one of the biggest bands in the Ukraine was there and this year they've brought another one of the biggest bands over to Canada for the festival.  We've heard samples of their music on the internet and we really like them.  Tonight was the only time during the festival that they were performing.  And I couldn't go because I'm still not feeling well! :-(  I'm so disappointed that I missed them and the festival.  I'm also very disappointed because my hubby had to go on his own.  I love spending time with him, especially when we're doing something that we really enjoy, so when it came down to the wire and I decided I should stay home, I felt terrible.  I sure hope he's having a good time, though.  He said he'd bring me home some food if the booths were still open after the band was done.  I have no idea when he'll be home.  To keep myself occupied while he's been out, I've been working on my course.

You may remember me mentioning that I'm enrolled in an interior decorating course through distance education.  For the past few days I've been diligently working on my homework so that I can finally send it in to get graded.  I had done most of the exercises awhile ago but had been putting off the rest of them because of fear.  You see, the remainder of the exercises involved the use of watercolor paints.  While I'm good at crafts, I've never been good at art (painting, drawing, etc.) and the last time I used paints was in elementary school.  So, I've been terrified of having to use the paints.  And why do I have to use the paints?  Because as an interior decorator, you need to understand what really goes into the making of colors.  For instance, when you look at a color, does the color you're looking at have more of one color in it than another color and does the making of that color involve using black, white, or gray?  It's much harder than you might think to arrive at the exact color you're trying to replicate.  Blue-violet is not necessarily equal parts of blue and violet.  It may have more blue in it than violet and may have gray in it rather than white.  Explanations aside, I think I'm going to need to buy more paints before I finish the entire course as I think I wasted quite a bit of them trying to mix my colors.  But I finished the exercises and can now send the first unit in for grading!  Wish me luck!

Now that I've checked in, I think I'll sign off.  I'll write more when I have something to write.  Until then, have a good cup of coffee over a visit with a good friend.  I sure do miss you, KM!